Now the supermarkets are overflowing with pumpkins and every path is scattered with multi-coloured crispy leaves, it is safe to say that Autumn is upon us!
It has to be the most beautiful time of the year, with bright blue skies overhead, warm sun cradling our cheeks, as we cling onto our sunglasses for yet another month. The chilly autumnal winds swirl around allowing lots of lovely layers to be worn… and then removed and put back on continuously throughout the day as the sun dips in and out!
Your gardens may be looking a little weathered and tired at the moment, but you’re certainly not alone as it’s quite the struggle to keep on top of the forever falling leaves. Hopefully we can help a little with a check list of jobs for the coming weeks;
- If you haven’t already, now is the time to give your greenhouse a much needed clean and disinfect. This lets in more light and prevents pests and diseases from over-wintering.
- Remove all shading from your greenhouse too as the daily sunny spells are too precious to miss.
- Make sure you bring half-hardy plants into the frost free greenhouse but allow enough space between them to keep ventilation flowing and reduce risk of disease.
- Water plants sparingly and carefully to avoid over-watering and mould setting in.
- Remove dead heads and any leaves from the greenhouse and greenhouse guttering to avoid mould and fungus.
It’s not all hard work though as hopefully you’re still indulging in some delicious homegrown crops. Now is the time to be harvesting tomatoes, peppers and aubergines and replacing those delicious summer salads with heart-warming scrummy soups. Why not sneak a chair into your greenhouse and enjoy a flask of soup alfresco style… heavenly!